Wednesday, July 04, 2007

on obsessive, self-deprecating EXs

i'm on the 3rd season of the L Word and i just can't get over the first few episodes. well actually, i can't get over the idea that my used-to-be (emphasis on the USED TO BE) favorite character, Alice, played by Leisha Hailey, a once perky and happy, self-made writer/DJ in seasons 1 and 2, turned into an obsessive, doesn't-have-a-clue-that-her-ex-is-over-her, pathetic, self-destructive girl.

sure, she fell in love and her heart got broken. true, that it was her best friend turned lover who did that to her. but it's been half a year. get over it already! i'd like to think her character is smarter than that.

even the best fall down sometimes as a song goes. in matters of the heart, even the smartest of the smarts turn into self-deprecating individuals. sadly, that doesn't just happen on TV.

we go through that at least once in our lives i guess. blaming ourselves when things don't turn out the way we wanted them to be. i did too when i was young. i asked questions such as was i not good enough? was i not pretty enough? are my boobs not big enough? to name a few. silly, i know. but that time, i didn't think so.

of course now, lookin back, i wanna kick my self right in the ass! i mean, i should've known myself well enough to think otherwise.

as a wise man once told me, "it isn't always about you, you know?" and it's true. it doesn't have to be ALWAYS about ME.

and so, i learned when to give my head a good shake and tell myself "stop this foolishness you bitch!".

Life is too short. Live it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never seen the show but I could empathize until you got to “are my boobs not big enough?” That one had me rolling on the floor!! Do women really think such things?!

gemma said...

hahahhaa! sweetie, that's just one of the many silly, stupid, idiotic things a woman thinks about.

that is, until they realize what a load of crap those were ;)

  © stoicsushi

Design by Emporium Digital